Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Simple, Familiar, and Sweet

A lot of people now skip the entire inner envelope concept when sending out invitations, which I think is fine- it saves trees, saves money, is less formal, etc. However, the nice thing about an inner envelope is that you usually write out the first name or even "pet name" of the person you are addressing. It adds such a personal touch. I think a really great way to combine the two would be to do something similar to the photo above- just add a good dose of familiarity and playfulness to the outer envelope by using just the first names! I think it would be perfect for an informal, whimsical event. Don't you? I hope someone takes me up on this idea soon for their invitations!

9 comments:

nole said...

Well, I love this idea, but everything looks amazing with your beautiful calligraphy! But I do this quite frequently with letters to my family - I'll send a card addressed just to "Dad" or "Grandma" - which my grandmother thinks is hilarious since there are about 50 other grandmas who live in her building.

elaine said...

I love this idea! i was thinking of a way to leave out the inner envelope since it seems a bit unnecessary for our wedding... this is great!!

B Dunlap said...

Nole- Oh, so glad you do this already. I think it is so sweet. And that is hilarious about your grandmother!

Elaine- so glad you are enthused!

Nadine said...

I ADORE the font! I was also wondering
whether it was a certain caligraphy
pen that inked the letters?

abby jenkins said...

Your caligraphy is SO elegant ... classic yet modern. AMAZING!

marta said...

i absolutely love this idea. you always seem to know how to make mail more fun. cheers to you.

umama said...

Don't worry, I will definitely take you up on this when my time comes!

lindsay said...

oh! I did that for my wedding! not as pretty as this one, I'm afraid to say. maybe next time when I'm not the bride. ;o)
beautiful work, as always!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE this calligraphy style!! I was wondering if you were selling your services?

Thanks!
Lindsey Sanders
sandersla57@gmail.com